Accessible at all times and admission is free
Address: Military Parade, Cowra NSW 2794
Phone: 02 6342 4333
Fax: 02 6342 4563
The history of Cowra is marked by stories of the military and migrants from World War II. Between 1940 and 1945 some 80,000 Australian troops received basic training at the Cowra facility. After the war the camp became home to between 17,000 to 19,000 immigrants who left war-ravaged Europe to make their home in Australia.
Whilst the campsite itself, on the eastern side of town, is now private land, a memorial has been erected in honour of the migrant families of Cowra in Europa Park, east of Cowra on the Sydney Road. There is also a memorial on Military Parade to mark the location of the Military Camp.
A collection of family stories from former residents of the Cowra Migrant Camp is recorded in "Australia, A New Country - A New Life". Compiled by the Cowra & District Historical Society, the book is available at the Cowra Visitor Information Centre.
If you would like further information, please contact the Cowra Visitor Information Centre 02 6342 4333.